Saturday, November 29, 2008

Giving thanks

What an excellent week we have had. I didn't have to work at all this week, so I got to hang out with some of my lady neighbor friends. On Monday, we painted. Look at this! Sarah did a sweet Cat in the Hat and Sabrina painted Alex and I anime-style. It was very fun and very relaxing.




For Alex's birthday, I took him rock climbing. This was only my 2nd time but Alex was a pro at it. I'm not a huge fan of heights but I scaled the walls pretty quickly. Alex did crazy stuff like climbing on horizantal cliff faces. Yikes!


We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with Alex's family. I think we might have perfected our jalapeno soup recipe. We got to play a rousing game of Mad Gab, too. It was very nice.

We spent almost all yesterday with our Iraqi family. I took the mom and both daughters shopping at the Galleria. THAT was an experience! I have never been shopping on Black Friday before, especially not with two children under the age of 5. I took them to Old Navy and the mom loved it! The mom was awed by the beautiful mall and there was an ice skating show going on. I had quite an experience trying to corrale the children while the mom tried on some clothes. Not being able to speak Arabic definitely puts you at a disadvantage when a kid is crying. I put slippers on my hands and clapped them to distract her. It didn't work. The kids got tired around noon so we went home early. Hopefully, the mom and I will get to go by ourselves soon. She loves sales!

After shopping, Alex and I took the entire family to the Dallas World Aquarium. It was SO fun! They had never seen anything like it. It was really crowded but they had a blast. We are getting comfortable enough around them to joke and their English is really improving. I taught the mom the word "cute" and its proper usage. The dad kept saying "snack" instead of "snake" at the Aquarium and I explained the difference. Alex is going to start helping the dad look for a job. This next week, we are eating at a Middle Eastern restaurant to celebrate Alex's birthday and sometime we're going to go see "Baba Noel" (i.e. Santa Claus). So fun!


No comments: