Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Doers of the word

Hey everyone. Sorry I have not contributed more to our blog. I truly do miss writing as often as I used to. Please know that I am praying for many of you. Please feel free to let Beth and I know if there is anything else we can be praying about. I wanted to share what I have been convicted of recently.

"Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls. But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does. If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless. Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world." James 1:21-27

I was thinking about the all of the different religious activities that Christians participate in. Conventions, retreats, book clubs, Bible studies, small groups, etc; these things are not bad in themselves but what is our purpose behind them? Why do I study the Bible? Is it so I can quote scripture and have the answer, or so that I may know the will of the Father and walk in His ways? Some of you may know that Beth and I have a Bible study at our place each Monday. It would be truly sad if all we did was read God's word and leave it at that. If I simply know the word, but do not live out what the word says in my life, then what have I accomplished? If I read God's word and know that I and the rest of the world are sinful, and there is only one way to the Father then why does my heart not break for my fellow man? Why would I keep such important news to myself? If I know that God's word says for me to love my neighbor but I am no better than the tax collector, only loving those that I choose, then have I really learned anything? I am deceiving myself, becoming comfortable with knowing what is right, but not necessarily doing what is right. My prayer is that we would put into practice what we already know to be true. God help me to truly desire righteousness. Help me to lay aside the wisdom of this world. Help me to put your truth into action that I might bring glory to Your name.

12 men decided to stop what they were doing and follow Christ. Through their faith God used them to change the world. Today there are more than 2 billion who claim to be followers of Christ. What are we doing?

No comments: