Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Right the Wrong

So, for those of you that don't know me, justice is my schtick. It's the burden that God has given me. Alex loves Truth and I love God's justice (In fact, we almost named our dog TJ for Truth and Justice but we decided that sounded like a superhero name).

Tonight, Alex and I had the NBC news on while we were doing chores and such, and I happened to catch a story covering a peace organization in Israel that had given 100 Palestinians video cameras. They showed some of the footage that had been captured. The most upsetting was a scene where two elderly Palestinians were planting seeds in their field when four masked Israeli settlers with clubs approached. I looked away as they began to beat the old people with their clubs. My heart ached so much that I had a physical reaction.

Probably the most memorable moment of my trip to Syria is the walk-through that we did of the Palestinian neighborhood in Damascus. I was struck by the sense of injustice that had pushed these people out of their homes. I left remembering that whatever the Western media said needed to be taken with a grain of salt because there was a side of the story that was being ignored. An upsetting part of the news broadcast tonight was the reminder that it seems the world is against these people. They are the underdogs.

I don't know what God has planned for Alex and I but He has given me a burden for these people. I don't know how to help them but I know that He has called me to it. My prayers are with them.


Seek justice
Encourage the oppressed.
Defend the cause of the fatherless,
Plead the case of the widow.

Isaiah 1:17

No comments: