Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Update 4 U

Hmmm. I (Beth) started my new Girl Scouts job this week. Since I'm only working 3 days, I'm done for the week, which is uh-mazing. My first reflections on this job are as follows:

-I do not know enough slang to sound cool. The gym teacher today told me that I need to "talk crazy" to the girls if they're "talkin' crazy" to me. If someone talks back to me, I can also say, "Are you talkin' to me or is there someone behind me?" and look around like I'm expecting someone behind me. I will practice this with Alex.

-I will be tired this year. Today my co-leader and I had 60 girls in one class period. It was chaotic with a capital C.

- I love my coworkers. They're funny, driven individuals and I like working with people my age.

- I need to brush up on my rap music. These girls have different "cultural currency", if you will. I don't think singing the Beatles is going to cut it.

- Alex told me this morning that my cardigan made me look nerdy. I am grateful for his warning.

I'm excited about this year. These girls are (mostly) excited about us being there and I look forward to getting to know them better. This year will give me a better understanding of poverty and "at risk" kiddos.

Please be praying for the girls- for their futures, for their teachers, for their concept of what Truth is.

Let us know how your lives are going.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

word to the wise.

they can tell when you're faking slang...

trust me, it does not end well.

Joseph said...

When I fake slang, the worst I get is a laugh...but I've always been pretty proficient at foreign languages.

Joseph said...

I'll give you lessons.