Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Another Trip to White Rock Lake

Beth, Benjamin, and I took another trip out to White Rock this past Sunday. We have learned from last time; realizing that hot dogs don't really make the best quick snack for joggers and cyclists. Today we wrote on poster board (in our own crooked letter font) free water, this time supplemented with granola bars. I think sitting closer to the road definitely caused us to meet more people, even if it was a quick thanks as they went on their way. I hope we aren’t giving off that high school fundraiser vibe, as a few people offered Benjamin and Beth money for the granola bars.

We did see a man named Bill who we met last time which is great. We really want to build relationships with people. He's a very nice man who rides around on his recumbent bike. He packs his own water but is kind enough to stop and talk for a minute. It was cool that he remembered us and said he had been thinking about us as he was riding around the lake. We had just been wondering about him earlier that day as well. We got to know him a little better and he gave us some things that we could be praying about. We met another man who stopped and talked with us named Mark. I won’t go into details, but he is going through some rough times and sat down to talk with us for a good twenty minutes. It always amazes me how people who are lost are so willing to open up about the problems in their life. Maybe they are looking for sympathy? Or maybe they are hoping that someone will be able to provide them with answers. He asked if we were Christian, which we replied yes. We even got to pray with him which was great. He seems genuinely interested in learning more about “religion” as he would put it. I think the lake would be a great place for us to have Bible study. We have been talking about going out to the lake on a regular basis to help us build relationships with people and we want to figure out a way to meet people who are curious about Christianity. We might put an ad in the paper for those who want to learn more about Christ or have questions. Maybe the lake would be where we could meet on neutral ground and discuss? It seems people today want a more open forum. Not a church where they sit and listen, but a place where they can listen, comment, and ask questions as well. I am not saying that churches are bad at all, but I think there is something about a person walking into a building where everyone thinks the same way that automatically puts that outsider on the defensive. I really hope that we can continue to go out to the lake and get to meet people, pray with people, discuss God’s word with them, and show them love.

On another note, Beth is continuing her job hunt. She has also signed up for a grant writing class which is awesome. It’s a great skill to have, especially in the non-profit sector. She’s already a great writer and I’m sure she is going to do well. My job is taking a toll on me but I am doing my best to remind myself that I need to give thanks in all circumstances and glorify God in all that I do. We’ll keep you up to date. Beth’s class starts around the end of the month. Peace be with all of you. We love you.

“Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” Colossians 4:2-6

No comments: